Tuesday, March 19, 2013

How To Be A Good English Teacher?


Being an English teacher without having degree in English teaching is the hardest part in my life. I am currently doing my diploma in English teaching and it really makes me learn a lot of valuable lessons. This is my fifth year of being an English teacher and I frankly admit that now I am more comfortable using the ‘scary’ language. Being an English teacher; a good English teacher needs a lot of sacrifice. I am not scared of doing mistakes because I believe we learn from mistakes but with a condition; we do not repeat the same mistakes. So, how to be a good English teacher? Here I would be happy to share my experience of being an English teacher.

1.      Teaching English is about speaking EXCELLENT English!
When a teacher converses good English, it is an indication that the teachers have EXCELLENT command of English and students tend to be impressed by it. If we notice that we make mistakes when speaking, ignore it and try not to repeat the same mistakes again. If teacher does not speak EXCELLENT English, do not be shocked if the students say,
“How could I learn English from somebody who is not good at the language itself”?
Therefore, a reminder to me and all the English teachers; make an effort to improve yourself because WE ARE ENGLISH TEACHERS!
2.      Teaching English is about being FRANK with our students!
It is definitely not wrong if we confess something that we do not know to our students. Perhaps, we could learn something from them. For instance, if our student encounters a new vocabulary when he or she is reading and he or she asks us about it and we have never heard about the word, without doubt it is not wrong at all if we say like this,
“I’m sorry I’m afraid I can’t help you with the meaning. Why don’t we look up the dictionary and share this remarkable word with the whole class? I’ve learned a new word today. Thank you for asking.”
I believe the student will feel appreciated and he or she will think that he or she has done a good deed to his or her classmates! By the way, SHARING IS CARING!
3.      Teaching English is about RESPECTING each other!
If we want people to respect us, we should respect them first. Respecting each other is significant because if we do not have this superb value in our class, I believe our class will be disastrous and we do not feel HAPPY teaching! RESPECT and GAIN RESPECT!
4.      Teaching English is about giving GOOD impression to the students!
Wearing nice clothes and put on some make up are a must for English teachers. We are telling our students that ENGLISH IS FUN but if we do not portray ‘FUN’ appearance to students, they will absolutely feel NO FUN! We do not have to buy expensive baju kurung or kebaya or wearing expensive jewellery to impress our students; it is enough actually if we look NICE and smell NICE!
5.      Teaching English is about being a DRAMA QUEEN!
Being a drama queen is important as a teacher because do not be surprised if your act would be able to make your students smile. For instance, if a student complains to you on something and actually you do not even care about it as you think the problem is a petty matter; you should show your concern and sympathy. I positively believe the student will feel appreciated and he or she would think that you really do care about him or her. Bear in mind that WE ARE ACTORS AND ACTRESSES ON THE STAGE OF LIFE!,
6.      Teaching English is about acting CRAZY!
When you come out with a CRAZY and COOL lesson plan and you expect your students to be CRAZY and COOL; you should also act CRAZY and COOL to make your class lively and dynamic! If our lesson is CRAZY and COOL but we act DULL and MONOTONOUS, I don’t think our class would be lively and dynamic. So, ACT CRAZY and MAKE YOUR CLASS LIVELY!